Thursday, May 16, 2013

Recreant




Recreant is a four piece band from Tampa, Florida, who I saw in April at a Black and Brown benefit show in Chicago. I was so impressed with their performance, that I spent my last 10 bucks for the week (normally reserved for burritos or vodka depending on how the weeks going, vodka lately) on their self titled record which was released in December of 2012.  There was a lot going on as they played and I wanted to see if anything was lost in recording or if they really were as fucking good as I and everyone else at the show seemed to think. You can  distinctly pick out a gaggle of different contributing styles in Recreants music which is what i'm talking about when i say there's a lot going on. As their band camp describes it: "Cheddar wanted a screamo band, B wanted a grind band, Tristan wanted a crust band, and Jesse wanted a metal band, so we just threw it all together, mixed it with that Florida flavor, and made what we like to call swamp core." Also included are dual male and female vocals, and some pretty shredding electric violin, leaving no base uncovered. No base uncovered including spoken word, on the track VII which to me, because that's not really my thing, is the weakest part of the album (admittedly, I'm not really qualified to say what is or isn't good spoken word). I strongly prefer their self titled 2012 release over snakes and vultures which was put out in 2011 (Just sayin'...).
Although Recreant is one of those bands you really ought to see live, I am pleased with my purchase over all. For 10 dollars does not buy many burritos or very much vodka and this record is crammed to the brim with more than 10 bucks worth of a little bit of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment